The 2017 postal rates are here and it’s not all bad news! New pricing takes effect January 22, 2017.
Changes to First-Class Mail® Postal Rates:
- First-Class Mail® Letters up to 1 ounce: price increase from $0.47 to $0.49
- First-Class Metered Mail: price decrease from $0.465 to $0.46. Metered mail discount is now 3 cents when compared to stamped letters.
- First-Class Mail® Flats up to 1 ounce: price increase from $0.94 to $0.98
- First-Class Mail® Parcels (Retail): pay one price up to 4 ounces: $2.67
- There are also increases in postal rates for Media Mail, Library Mail, Certificate of Mailing, Collect on Delivery-Hold for Pickup, Return Receipt and Signature Confirmation™.
Changes to Presorted mail Postal Rates:
- Presorted First-Class Mail Letters/Postcards: There’s an overall average price decrease of 0.25 percent, although many presort prices are increasing.
Additional Service Changes:
- Collect on Delivery (COD) will become a Hold for Pickup only service. Items mailed as COD will be held at the delivery post office, and the recipient will be notified to visit their post office to pick up and pay for the item.
- Standard Mail will be rebranded as USPS Marketing Mail®.
- “Alternate Postage” will now be “Share Mail”, and how it’s priced is being simplified.
Periodical Postal Rates:
- Periodical rates will increase by 1%.
Priority Mail Postal Rates:
- Priority Mail rates will increase slightly depending on category ranging from .10- $1.25.
Source: Pitney Bowes & usps.com